April 11, 2012

Bullying within the School System

Ok, so I need a moment to vent.  Please bear with me.

Bullying has been such a major topic in the news the past few years.  It is such a horrible thing to happen to kids.  I know we will never get rid of it; however, when it does happen, kids need an adult to be their voice.

HELLO - I have got  a HUGE voice.

My daughter's best friend Sam is being bullied.  I won't stand for this.  Bullying has such a life long impact on a child.  Life is hard enough, nobody needs to live in fear and humiliation every day.

My daughter told me this story:

"Mom, yesterday Sam was at lunch outside of school and Mary (unnamed bully) and her friend (Anne, unnamed accomplice) were mean to Sam.  Mary brought to school an egg that she had emptied and filled with flour.  At lunch she went up to Sam and smashed it on her head.  Everybody laughed.  It was horrible.  Anne, the accomplice, video taped the entire thing on her ipod and posted it on Facebook."

It was bad enough that a 14 year old girl can preplan such meanness, let alone post it on Facebook for everybody to see.

The video shoes the girl preparing to smash the egg, walking up to Sam and running back to Anne laughing so hard she was doubled over.

I asked my daughter if anybody reported the incident.  Why?  Nobody was going to do anything about it.

I emailed the principal first thing in the morning, and by lunch didn't have a response.  I called the principal, the vice principal and was finally put in touch with the guidance counselor.  The guidance counselor state he had received my email and wasn't planned to take any action with the information.  He was actually crazy enough to tell me that Sam had been in to see him multiple times throughout the school year with other incidents of being bullied. 

I am sick, literally sick, that they are aware of this happening and they are not doing anything about it.

I may be the voice of one, but my voice will be heard.  I am realistic, I know bullying is never going to stop.  But when you know it is happening, you need to do something about it rather than sweep it under the rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment