March 21, 2012

Scrap Fabric Wreath

I love Pinterest.  I know that people are leaving the site due to the rules about pinning items, but I still like to look and get ideas.

I found this gorgeous wreath and thought, I can do that.  Here's the link with tutorial to the original wreath I found:

http://whipperberry.com/2011/01/tutorial-red-burlap-wreath.html

I didn't stick with the original red wreath, instead I used fabric scraps.  I was employed at an architectural firm that also did interior design work.  One spring we decided to clean out all the old fabric books.  I couldn't just throw them all away, so I brought a bunch - like a LOT - home with me.  My husband has been so happy tripping over these for the past couple of years.  I've made a bunch of things with them, but I still had a lot of scraps left.












I opened the books and took out all the scraps that were in the red, pink and cream colors.  I cut the scraps to approximately 3", 4" and 5" squares.

Because the scraps are typically one sided, I put the right sides facing each other when making the little flowers.

I also covered the entire foam frame with fabric scraps so if there was a hole you wouldn't see the white foam.  I used hot glue to hold it all together.

It took a night in front of the television to cut all the pieces out of the books, and then another night cutting them to the right sizes and rounding the corners.  The third night I spent hot gluing the pieces onto the foam and burning my fingers.  I love hot glue, just haven't figured out how to not burn my fingers.

Also, because these scraps are mostly upholstery fabric, they made a huge mess.  My floors are wood so the clean up wasn't bad, but it was difficult to remove from the sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment